Saturday, May 28, 2011

Personal Psychology: Part I




I like talking about myself, as conceited as that sounds. It sounds bad, but the real reason I like it so much is because talking about myself out loud leads me to learning more about how my mind works. It also leads to me learning more about how other peoples' minds work.

The mind is a beautiful thing, and each and every one is unique. It's also probably one of the most complex and misunderstood things in our world today.

I can talk a lot about personality and psychology and mental disorders. I read about them a lot. I look stuff up about them, and I take personality type tests to see how others would classify me based on my actions and thoughts. There's a world of knowledge about these things if you care to understand them.

So, with that little introduction aside, I'd like to give you a look into my own mind, which will probably actually take a few posts (I wasn't lying when I said I can talk about this stuff very easily). I'll apologize ahead of time for the possible boring information. I know not everyone thinks this stuff is cool like I do.



Introvert or Extrovert?




Introverts are quiet and tend to listen more than they speak. They lean more toward individual projects than group ones, and most are reserved and concentrated. Introverts think before they act. They do not mind being alone.

Extroverts are pretty much the opposite. This entails lots of noise, speaking a lot more than listening, thriving in group projects and star roles, and usually being outgoing and enthusiastic. Extroverts think after they act. They like being around people as much as possible.

So which am I? I'm mostly an introvert. Unless I'm around people I know quite well, I tend to be rather quiet. I think before I act, and I prefer individual projects over group projects. I don't mind being alone at all, but I don't like feeling alone (i.e. being physically alone doesn't bother me as long as I'm talking to someone in some way). As for speaking and listening, I'm actually more of a talker. I don't mind listening, but I'm not great at advice. It makes me too nervous, I suppose.

As an introvert, I tend to stay quiet in enviroments that aren't completely comfortable to me. I don't get out of my comfort zone very often, and when I do I usually need people I trust around me. I don't speak loudly and prefer smaller gatherings than larger ones. Large crowds of people make me highly nervous, and talking to people I don't know well usually gets awkward.

A common misconception is that introverts are merely shy. Although shyness can be a factor, as it is in my case, it is not the same thing as being introverted nor is it always associated with it. Introverts are not introverted just because they are too shy to do anything otherwise. Introverts thrive from being alone and getting their work done on their own time. Other people can slow down an introvert whereas an extrovert would work harder if the others were present.

Introverts are often very concerned as to what goes on within their own minds. They spend time getting to know their strengths and weaknesses and likes and dislikes. Introverts crave alone time even after spending good times with friends and family, and they allow their thoughts to take them wherever they wish.

I think my interest in psychology and the mind sprouted from this introvertedness. As I tried to learn more and more about my own mind, I started getting interested in the minds of others as well.

Introverts commonly sound pretty conceited because they are so interested in their own thoughts, but in reality they often care about other peoples' thoughts, too. The mind is the playground of introverts everywhere.

And that's quite enough mind talk for now. I'm sure there will be more posts about this topic to follow, since I'm pretty much obsessed.



"For an introvert his enviroment is himself and can never be subject to startling or unforeseen change."


- Quentin Crisp

Sincerely Cynical,

Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment