Monday, May 23, 2011

A Musical Existence

"If music be the food of love, play on,


Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,


The appetite may sicken, and so die."


- Duke Orsino, Twelfth Night








Music. I've never met anyone who didn't appreciate it. Most people seem to realize that it's so much more that a string of notes written on a staff. It's expression, and it's emotion. It's beauty, and it's everlasting. A song can say more to a person than a well-thought out statement could nine times out of ten if it's the right song for that person.

I play it. I sing it. I listen to it. I almost breathe musically at this point (but not quite). Music is my chosen form of expression, and it's a wonderful distraction. If I need alone time for any reason, I love having the technology on hand to blast songs that fit with my mood. I can sing along, or I can just listen peacefully.

When I play, I'm usually playing my flute or my piccolo. I'm also an amateur sax player, and I play in a steel band. Still, flute is my forte. I love the instrument, and I feel like I made a good choice that day in sixth grade when we all decided what instrument we were going to learn. Flute is soft and beautiful, but can be high and mighty in a concert setting. Maybe it's not what's heard on the radio these days, but I see it for its worth anyways.

My current music obsession, I must say, is Michael Buble. I can't get enough of his lyrics or his voice, and I love the background vocals and the instrumentation. It all just flows well and gets his message across. My favorite song by him is definitely Hollywood. It makes me smile just thinking of it.

My favorite types of music are alternative rock and punk rock. My Chemical Romance, Forever the Sickest Kids, Owl City, Ben Folds, and Flyleaf are just a few of my most favorite bands. This being said, I like a little bit of everything for the most part (discluding country).

Anyways.

I love music.
(a lot)

The end.






Sincerely Cynical,





Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment